Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Read Aloud Handbook-by Jim Trelease

What a FANTASTIC reference.  I am trying to absorb everything he writes about.  I am a HUGE fan of reading aloud to your children.  I've just started reading this book, and so far I have learned:

  • 54% of fourth-graders read for pleasure
  • 30% of eighth-graders read for pleasure
  • 19% of twelfth-graders read for pleasure
Wow!

"The more you read, the better you get at it; the better you get at it, the more you like it; and the more you like it, the more you do it."

"The more you read , the more you know; and the more you know, the smarter you grow."

  • Background knowledge
  • Building vocabulary
  • Reading role model
  • Conditioning a child's brain to associate reading with pleasure

~Expanding your child's attention span

~Your child reading on a certain level and listening on a certain level. ( I had no idea about the listening level)

No comments:

Post a Comment